BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Who would have thought...?

When I was younger, I used to see my mum drinking her herbal drink or in Malay we call it Jamu. She would make weird faces because of the smell and taste ( I guess). And I was asking myself, why torture yourself?
My grandmother used to tell us not to eat Maggie Mee because of its MSG content, and eat lots of ulam (raw vegetables). Of course, being a kid I used to get grossed out to the thought of it.
But now that I'm 24, I realized that my grandmother was right. She knew what was best for us, and what was not. Honestly, almost all my life, I hated vegetables. But once I turned 18, and I realized how important it is to consume vegetables, I try to eat them whenever I can.
Our great grandmothers had their own recipes and remedies to keep them maintain a healthy life. Think about it... there're just so many diseases nowadays. Cancer is nothing new in our time, and obesity seems common. This happens because of what we consume every day. Sugary drinks, preservatives and MSGs seem to be necessary to many of us.
I only have 1 more year before my skin starts aging, and I know I have to start doing something now before its too late. Prevention is better than cure, they say.
So, I guess our ancestors know what they're talking about!

I did some research on traditional beauty recently, and tried a few remedies and recipes. These recipes do not content any drug, so the result might be a bit slower than what we have on shelves at the malls, but one thing for sure, unless you have any allergies or sensitive skin, it doesn't have any side effects. I can't say how long it takes to see the results, as it depends on each person. But for me, I could see it almost instantly!

Youthful skin mask

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
2 tablespoons of coconut oil

Steps:

1. Mix the ingredients together in a shallow bowl till you get a paste.
2. Apply evenly on face and neck.
3. Let it stay for at least 20 mins (the longer the better)
4. Before rinsing your face, rub your face like you would when using a scrub
5. There will be some yellow stains. You can use your daily cleanser to wash it off
6. Pat dry
7. Use once or twice a week

Result: The 1st time I tried it, I could feel that my skin was softer and more supple


Hair treatment

Ingredient

1/2 cup of coconut oil (depending on how long your hair is)

Steps:
1. Apply coconut oil all over your hair and massage your scalp.
2. Let it stay for as long as you can (I usually do it for about an hour)
3. Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse.
4. Feel your scalp with your fingers. If there's still some oil left, wash your hair with shampoo, and rinse again.
5. Towel dry hair.

Result: I've made this remedy as my weekly routine. My hair is now not as dry as it used to be, and much softer. This remedy can also be used for people who are experiencing hair loss, except that scalp massaging should be the main focus.


Immunity and skin glowing tonic

Ingredients:
100g of fresh turmeric
1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
2 teaspoon of honey
1 cup of warm water

Steps:
1. Squeeze the juice out of the turmeric using a juicer.
2. Pour it in a tall glass and mix the rest of the ingredient.
3. Drink daily

Result: I have just started drinking this juice recently, and have yet seen the result. Though most of you might think its pretty gross, but its actually not that bad. Its not tasty, but its drinkable. If your taste buds can't take it, try adding more honey.

Good luck!

0 comments: