BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Listen to your body

Me and my hubby had a great conversation about healthy eating with my father in law (who is a seriously health freak)just now. He just came back from seeing this non-mainstream but highly recommended doctor who gave him some good advices on healthy eating. As most of you know, we should avoid eating white stuff like, white rice, pasta, white bread etc... And I think most of us tend to buy low fat food, you know, to avoid getting fat or to lose weight. But my father in law made a good point when he said that America has the largest amount of low fat food but the Americans are just getting fatter and fatter each year. Weird isn't it? So according to this doctor he saw, the biggest culprit to being fat or weight gain is actually sugar. Any form of sugar. This include carbs (rice, pasta, white bread...etc), sugary drinks and even fruits! I almost screamed when I heard that. I love fruits. I eat fruits in front of the tv, almost every day. Apparently its ok to eat fruits, but not the riped ones or the sweet ones. But those are what we really love, right? Gosh, being healthy is so hard. And apparently, those fatty food that we eat is actually ok as long as we eat with moderation. But sugar is the villain. Trust me, it wasn't easy for me to take either. When sugar enters our body, it becomes belly fat and this could cause high visceral fat. This is dangerous to our body as it could lead to deseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problem. Visceral fat is very hard to get rid of, so the only way you can do this is to lower your sugar intake and exercise regularly. So to lower your sugar intake (which is hard bcoz almost everything that we eat and drink contain sugar), try to take food that does not convert into sugar right after it enters your body, like vegetables. If you have to eat sugar, try to go for honey or less processed sugar like palm sugar or brown sugar.
I've been asking myself, "How do I do this?" and I came up with kind of a good idea. I don't think I can go on and on with a strict diet and not tempted to eat unhealthy food. As a matter of fact, its ok to give in to your cravings sometimes. Coz if you don't do that you might just give up and eat everything! So, my plan is to eat healthily for 6 days and take a break for 1 day. That sounds fair, doesn't it?

0 comments: